Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday Scallops with a side of Plaintains.


This week has been a busy one with not a lot of cooking time.  Makes me sad and makes it hard to post a blog if I don't cook.

We did get a lot done around the house, doctor visits, shopping, pool open, wood chopped and stacked, house cleaned, laundry done. I missed a birthday party but made the Strongman Saturday at Blind Dog Gym.

Tonight's dinner was quick and easy.  My first attempt to cook scallops and I think I over cooked them. They were still good and the flavors were awesome.  I didn't have three shallots, only one large one.  The wonderful flavor of the shallots made the dish. Defiantly don't go light with them, use at least three.  I also used fresh basil and chives from my garden. 




http://cavemanstrong.com/2011/10/paleo-bacon-sea-scallops/

Ingredients
1/2 Pound of bacon (preferably organic, with no additives and nitrates)
10 Scallops (wild ,sea scallops)
3 Shallots chopped
4-5 Kales leaves
1 Tablespoon of fresh basil chopped
1 Tablespoon of fresh chives chopped
Instructions
Chop bacon into small pieces and cook on medium heat for approx. 5-7mins.  Add chopped shallots and continue to sauté for 5 mins. until onions are translucent. Remove the mixture from the heat and set aside in a bowl.  In the same pan add the scallops and cook in the bacon fat for 5 mins/ side on medium heat.  Pour the bacon mixture, chives, basil and kale over the scallops and continue to cook and stir for an additional 3mins. Enjoy!



Can I have a side of Plantains???
Lexus and I love sweet potatoes.  They've been a good substitute for the nasty white version the world seems to think are so great. Yuck.

My husband has not been an easy conversion to Paleo when it comes to potatoes. He will not eat sweet potatoes no matter how I fix them.  So he's had to settle for meat and vegetables only when Lex and I enjoy our sweet potato fries.  Until Today!!!!  He says to me "these are really good, I would eat these instead of potatoes over those sweet potato things you make"   SCORE

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2013/03/pan-caramelized-plantains/

Prep and Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredient list:
1 plantain
Ghee or coconut oil
Chipotle chili powder
Salt
Directions: Melt one tablespoon of coconut oil or ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Choose a plantain that is dull yellow with patches of black. Riper plantains are blacker. Cut off each end and split the plantain down the middle lengthwise with a knife. Peel the halves and lay them in the hot skillet. Let them cook for 2 minutes, then turn and let the other side cook 2 minutes. I used tongs to move my plantains around, but you could you a spatula. Then repeat until each side has cooked about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and dust the hot plantain slices with salt and chipotle chili powder. Eat immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!