Sunday, May 5, 2013

Pizza Burgers - who needs flour crust when you have a burger.

This is one of those 20% pushing the limits on Paleo.  There is a vegan cheese that has no dairy you can get at Giant Eagle.  I just don't remember the name.  It's kind of like cheese if you are doing strick Paleo and would work. You find it at the end of the regular shredded cheese. White package. Or just put pizza toppings on without cheese.  Who needs the cheese right?

My attempt was with ground turkey.  I won't do it again.  They were good but a ground sirloin burger would have been way better.  So I'm doing them again in the near future. I also didn't have a chance to make my own sauce so I just used a pizza sauce in a squeezy tube.  I know....I know.  20% remember.  And I used regular cheese and pepperoni.  So okay it wasn't even close to Paleo.  But I'm sure I can adapt Paleo next time with a few adjustments.  No cheese, no pepperoni.

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2012/06/mini-paleo-pizzas/


Ingredients
  • 1 pound pastured ground sirloin
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasonings like Penzeys Tuscan Sunset
  • ½ tsp. kosher salt
  • 4 Tbs. organic no salt added tomato paste
  • 1-2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • pinch more of Italian seasonings
  • ground black pepper
  • Toppings: grated mozzarella (primal), un-cured sliced pepperoni, sliced fresh olives, slided pepperdews, anything else you like on pizza
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Mix together beef, egg, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, and salt until well blended.
  3. Place a piece of plastic wrap in a wide-mouth mason jar lid and press a scant ¼ cup of the beef mixture to the edge of the ring, forming a small patty. Repeat until all the meat is used.
  4. Place the patties on a foil lined jelly-roll pan with edges and bake for 8 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile thin the tomato paste with some olive oil- I liked 2 Tbs. and add a pinch of Italian seasonings and black pepper. Set aside.
  6. Remove the beef crusts from the oven and dab the tops with paper towels to remove excess grease. Top each with a tsp. of tomato paste mixture and your desired toppings. Bake another 5 minutes.
  7. Remove pizzas to a paper towel lined plate, then place on a serving platter or on cupcake paper liners.
  8. Eat immediately or allow to cool completely and stack in wide-mouth mason jars.
 
 
Here's a photo of my version.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!