Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Carrot Cake - Yep I said Carrot Cake

I'm a big snack person. It's one of the greatest challenges I face with Paleo. I'm always looking for something to curb the sweet tooth.  I stumbled upon this recipe and its a keeper. The only drawback is, like the caveman bars, when its room temperature it doesn't stay together.  And my non-paleo husband who loves carrot cake approves.   

This is my rendition. I followed the recipe exactly.

 
 
Carrot Cake Energy Squares
Makes 12 squares
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots, grated)
1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper, making sure that there is some paper overhanging the sides of the pan.
In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, process the almonds, walnuts, cinnamon, and salt until finely ground, about 30 seconds. Add the raisins and process for 10 seconds.
Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the grated carrots. Then stir in the applesauce, coconut oil, and lemon zest until thoroughly combined. Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of the lined pan. Freeze for about 1 hour or until firm.
Remove the bar “slab” from the pan using the parchment paper overhang. Cut into 12 squares. Store the squares in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!