Monday, October 21, 2013

Dessert!! Twice Baked Butternut Squash

Fall is my favorite time of year.  The weathers getting cooler, the leaves are changing and squash is in season!  

I love butternut squash!  It's my latest obsession.  Why?  Because it good.  It's sweet.  And you can make it taste like pumpkin pie, without all the bad stuff.

Okay maybe not pumpkin pie, but a sweet treat that can curve the urge for pumpkin pie.

1st you need to bake your squash.  I would type out how to do this...but why?  Watch this video to learn how.

Leave out the olive oil and spray the pan with something to keep it from sticking.

When they are done, let them cool and scrape out the delicious insides.  Be sure to get all of it by scraping the skins good.   I scrape it into a bowl with a little bit of butter.  The amount of butter you use will depend on how big your squash was.  I used about 3 TBLS to about 2 cups of squash. (give or take)

Mash it with a mixer.  Add about 1/4 teas or 1/2 teas depending on your taste buds of Pumpkin Pie spice.  This is the premixed combination.  If you don't have it, use cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. equal parts.

Mix until mashed to a smooth consistency.

Spread into a shallow baking dish and sprinkle with some more spices.  Then bake at 500 degrees.  I placed the dish on the second to the top rack position.  Bake about 20-30 minutes depending on how much squash you have.  You want the top and sides to be crusty.

I could have baked mine a little longer, but for the first try it come out delicious.

Let it cool and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!