Thursday, January 3, 2019

Instant Pot Buckwheat Groats and Fresh Squeezed Apple Juice

Why Buckwheat Groats?

If you do your research you'll find this type of grain is low on the glycemic index which is a better carbohydrate.  It won't spike your blood sugar and its processed slower by your system; leaving you with a longer period of energy and feeling full.  Its Gluten free (if that's your thing)  It's a good source of protein (if you are vegan) and it's known for its anti inflammatory properties.  Referred to as an Ancient grain which is the hipster name for this type of unprocessed, older style grain.  

I was introduced to buckwheat while on the elimination diet.  The taste reminds me of oatmeal with a consistency of tapioca on the firmer side.   What I chose to make today has all the flavors and carbs!!

First thing, I had a lot of apples from the holidays.  I hate waste so I made fresh apple juice.  About 6-8 apples and one small lemon makes an amazing juice.  It keeps in the fridge for 2-3 days tops.  Tons of natural sugar but a simple treat every now and again. I encourage people to make things fresh from products rather than just buying processed.  So if you're going to drink sugar, drink it fresh from the source right?

Onto the main course for breakfast, which filled me up through lunch.  I ended up eating lunch around 2pm that resulted in not really eating dinner.  But now it's 8:30p and I'm hungry. I'm going to push through til morning to fit in an easy intermittent fast until breakfast!  (drink all the water)

Instant Pot Buckwheat Porridge

Ingredients - my version

  • 1 cup raw buckwheat groats
  • 3 cups milk of choice, I used a lactose free milk by Fairlife. 
  • 1 banana sliced
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, I think I used a tablespoon
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla (I used a fresh vanilla bean, about 1" long.
  • a big chuck of fresh butter (amish kind). I just threw this in for the fat because who doesn't love butter.
  • about 1 tsp of Himalaya salt crystals

Instructions

  1. Rinse buckwheat and place in Instant Pot.
  2. Add milk, banana, cinnamon, vanilla bean, salt and butter and close lid.
  3. Be sure the steam release is in the closed position and manually select 6 minutes high-pressure cooking time.
  4. When timer beeps at the end of the cooking cycle, turn pot off and allow time for the natural release of pressure (about 20 minutes.)
  5. Once pressure is released, carefully open lid and stir porridge













    Leave me comments if you have any questions!  Or leave me a comment just because.  

    "Confidence has nothing to do with ability" ~Augusten Burroughs






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!