Monday, June 2, 2014

Spicy Drumsticks w/ Baked Broccoli

I've committed myself to blog as much as possible during the next few months.  For a couple reasons.  One, I think it will help me stay on track and focus. Two, it will help others who visit my blog get ideas for ways they can practice a better eating lifestyle and try recipes I've already made so I know they are yummy. With the Sane Challenge starting next week and lots of newer people joining the gym and joining the challenge, I'm sure it will be helpful to someone.

Today was Deadlift Day!

Everyone loves ME deadlift day.  For me they have not been so exciting since I have not PR'd since last year.  I've been stuck at 275lb. 

Today I hit 285lb like a boss.  It's all mental.  I was working with another member. I kept going back to where a few others were lifting heavy.  I would ask them if I could cut in .  No problems.  They kept adding weight but I was so focused on helping who I was working with.  And she killed it like a boss and got a huge PR today also.  YAY

So the bar was pretty loaded, but I just walked over, asked how much? and if I could lift.  They both said sure!  So I walked up and lifted it.  Like it was nothing.  That my friend was how I got 185lb.  Tried 300lb but by then the mind took over.
Lifting is a huge mind game. 

Breakfast today was a green smoothie made with my Majic Nutribullet. It had Spinach, melon, cucumbers, almonds, flax seeds, egg white protein, orange and orange juice.  Big power booster for the morning.

Lunch was a chopped salad from subway, double sweet teriyaki  chicken meat so I skipped any dressing.  Spinach with all the fresh veggies. 

Snack was a bag of sweet potato chips, I found some at the farm market with just sweet potato's, sunflower oil and sea salt.  Pretty tasty. not sure how they get them so crispy.

Right before the gym around 4pm I ate one of my Kratos high protein beef bars and bunch of purple grapes and about 8 almonds.  Probably why I got a deadlift PR.  LOL  Kratos Web Site

Lots of water all day.....

Dinner was started by the time I got home from coaching.  We had Spicy Drumsticks!  And they Were good.  Along with some simple baked broccoli.  The husband left the skins on...but I would recommend removing them.  He used coconut oil and followed the recipe exactly as written.

Baked broccoli was easy, toss with salt/pepper and a infused olive oil.  Bake on cookie sheet in 400 degree oven for a good 20 minutes.  Let them get really brown on the edges.  Splash and mix a little flavors balsamic right before serving.  Good stuff.

I used oil and vinegar from the Olive Scene in Vermilion.  If you've never been, I'd recommend going.  The flavors were Persian Lime infused oil with a splash of blackberry ginger aged balsamic vinegar. The Olive Scene web site

Ingredients
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil, clarified butter or another paleo fat, melted;
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced;
  • 2 tsp chili powder;
  • 1 tsp garlic powder;
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
  • 10 chicken drumsticks;
Preparation
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the garlic, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper as well as the cooking fat. Dump in the chicken and mix well to ensure all the meat is evenly coated with the seasonings.
  3. Place the chicken drumsticks on a large baking sheet with space in between each to prevent overlap. Cook for about 1 hour, until the chicken is well cooked, turning the pieces once during the cooking process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!