Sunday, November 3, 2013

Cauliflower Soup - Souper Sundays!!

What a wonderful fall day.  The sun was warm, the air cold, it was just perfect.  I felt super rested with an extra hour of sleep from day light savings change.  After making breakfast, we took the dog for a walk at the local Metro Park.  He loves going for walks and so do we!  We stopped at the stand for what will probably be the last of local produce.  Acorn squash, some leaf lettuce, spaghetti squash, peppers, radishes and a few jalapenos.  I couldn't wait to get home and use some of it.



We decided during the fall/winter months I'd plan to make soup every Sunday.  We'll call it SOUPER SUNDAYS!  Today I planned out three different soups.  This is the first of the three I made.
 
I had a head of cauliflower from last week I needed to use so it didn't go to waste. As always I went to Google.com and typed in Paleo cauliflower soup.  Several choices came up but I decided to make this one.

http://www.paleolifestylemagazine.com/cauliflower-soup/

(These are my photos...I'm getting pretty good don't  you think?)




First I had to roast the cauliflower.   I didn't have whole gloves of garlic so I just sprinkled some minced garlic in with the EEOV before I roasted them.  I'm sure the whole gloves would have given it better flavor but it's what I had.  While it roasted I chopped up  the onion and celery and got the fresh herbs ready.

Ingredients:
  • 1 head of Cauliflower
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped finely
  • 2 tsps. fresh thyme, chopped finely
  • Celery, 2 ribs
  • 3 Cloves of garlic
  • 3 tbsps. EVOO
  • 3½ cups chicken broth
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
Make:
Pre-heat the oven to 400°.   Break up pieces of cauliflower and toss into a large bowl.  Add in  garlic cloves and about 1tbsp of the EVOO, until well coated.  Season with salt & pepper, to taste. Place on a large baking sheet, in a single layer and place into oven.  Roast for about 20-30 mins, until lightly golden brown.  Set aside.
In a saucepan, heat the additional EVOO, over medium heat, add in onion and celery.  Sauté until tender, about 5-7 mins.  Add the roasted cauliflower, vegetable broth, thyme, and rosemary to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 20-25 minutes.
With an immersion blender, blend until the soup is smooth. 

 Pour soup into bowls and season with a dash of paprika.  Enjoy!
 
 
This soup has a hearty consistency and fills you up fast.  We enjoyed it with a wonderful salad made with the fresh leafy lettuce we bought earlier in the day. Perfect ending to a perfect fall day.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!