Sunday, November 3, 2013

Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Tomato Soup - Paleo

SOUPER SUNDAY - Soup number two

http://rivernorthpaleo.blogspot.com/2012/03/creamy-crockpot-chicken-and-tomato-soup.html


This was an all day soup but worth the wait.  I first followed the recipe but was not happy with the flavor.  To me it was to sweet from the coconut milk.  I let it simmer about three hours and still didn't like the flavor.  Considering I had 7 chicken breasts invested in this soup I was determined to save it.  So I went on the search for coconut tomato chicken soup recipes and found a few that had ingredients I thought would help.  So I took a risk and added some spices and a green pepper.  

Perfection!!!
Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Tomato Soup

7 skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 14 oz. can of coconut milk (full fat), shake before opening can to avoid separation
2 14 oz. can diced tomatoes and juice
2 cups of chicken broth
1 small can of tomato paste
1 small can of tomato sauce ( I didn't have spaghetti sauce as suggested in the recipe)
Sea Salt and pepper to taste

Put all the above ingredients into the crock-pot, cook for 9 hours on low.
 
I added one green pepper - diced
1/2 teas each, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper
 
After 9 hours take two forks and shred the chicken and mix back into soup.  
Recipe adapted from Everyday Paleo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!