Monday, December 30, 2013

Left Over Turkey From Christmas Salad

It's been awhile since I've posted a blog.  Mostly from a lack of time.  Some of its from falling off the Paleo/clean wagon and a tad bit of it is from depression.  If  you suffer from depression then you can relate.  If  you don't then the best way to explain it.....its a dark hole I sometimes fall into.  It's usually after a period of time that large black ferocious dogs are chasing me and inevitable I fall into the hole because I just can't run anymore.   It's no fun and it's exhausting.  I always fall into the hole during the holidays.  I eventually crawl out.  Sometimes it's a very deep hole and takes weeks to get out, however I've notice in the last two years, with no adjustment in medication, the hole isn't as deep as it use to be. I find my ability to crawl out is much faster and easier then ever before.  I blame Crossfit and the choice of a healthier lifestyle.   YAY

With the holiday dinner obligation over, I found myself with a large quantity of turkey leftover.  The last holiday (Thanksgiving) I made an amazing "leftover" turkey soup. It was not Paleo so I can't post it here, but it was delicious.  Threw the stuffing in and everything!

This time I chose the lighter fair and made a turkey salad. I believe I'll eat this for the next few days with no problem.

This is the recipe I followed with a few adjustments.
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/chicken-salad/

Chicken salad with grapes, apples and cranberries recipe

Serves 3

Ingredients

  • 1 lb chicken breast;  ( I used left over turkey!!!  Chopped up into little pieces.)
  • ½ cup dried cranberries;
  • 1 cup celery, chopped;
  • ¾ cup green grapes, halved;
  • ½ cup walnuts, chopped;
  • 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced; ( I left out since I would have enough fat in the mayo I used)
  • 1 apple, peeled cored and chopped;
  • 1 cup Paleo mayonnaise; (I used regular mayo, light. Not a whole cup, just enough to moisten it)
  • 1 tsp lemon juice;
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
I just took all the ingredients, threw them into a large mixing bowl and tossed it all together.  I squeezed some lemon juice from a fresh lemon and salt an pepper to taste at the very end of mixing.  The combination of flavors makes this really yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!