Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pot Sticker Burgers and A Heros Run


Today was a great day!  I participated in the

 Cleveland Hero Run!

http://westparkmemorial.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=145

As I ran 5 miles I thought about all the things our public service men and women do every day to keep us safe. The risks they take, and for some giving their lives.  I thought about the families they leave behind and the sacrifices they make as well.  Participating was my way to show my support and appreciation.


Not to mention I got to spend the morning with some of my favorite people!!
I must say the 5 miles was a huge PR for me.  The most I've ever run has been a mile at a time.  I've run 5k's before but usually with a lot of walking and obstacles in between running.  This was just running for 5 miles up and down hills of the metro parks.  I was happy with running the first 3 miles, walked most of the 4th (it was up a big hill) and then ran the last mile.  I'm not sure of the official finish time but it was just over an hour.   I'll take it.
 
Dinner was a challenge considering my legs were not feeling so hot. I have a huge blister on the bottom of my left foot that started about halfway through the 3rd mile.  So my right leg is really sore because of compensating for the sore left leg.  UGGGG 
 

Paleo Pot Sticker Burgers with Slaw

http://newonu.blogspot.com/2013/01/paleo-pot-sticker-burgers.html

I've made these in the past and they are becoming a favorite! 
 
 
They are simple to make.  Be sure to make the slaw first so it has time to marinate. 
I also used olive oil on the grill pan. It didn't get as burnt as the cooking spray does. (I used that the last time and yuck).  Also Coconut Aminos are not found at Giant Eagle.  I've only had luck at the stores like Whole Foods or Earth Fare.







 
 

 Pot Sticker Burgers

1 package 99% fat-free ground turkey breast (about 1.2lbs)
1 egg
3-4 Tablespoons Coconut Aminos** (I used Coconut Secret brand from Whole Foods)
2 green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, micro planed or finely minced
2 Tablespoons, micro planed or finely minced ginger (I recommend micro planed, but work with what you've got!)
1 1/2 cups coleslaw mix, roughly chopped
Spicy Asian Slaw

4 Tablespoons Coconut Aminos
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (DO NOT omit - adds amazing flavor)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ginger powder
1 green onion, sliced
Remainder of coleslaw mix from 14 oz bag. (about 4-5 cups) 
**In case you are wondering about this "Coconut Aminos" business, it is a soy-free soy sauce substitution that is approved for the paleo lifestyle.  Although I was a bit dubious at first, one taste changed my mind.  Justin just couldn't believe there was no soy sauce in this recipe. If you use regular soy sauce, cut back by about 1 TBS.

Directions For the Slaw: (I started this first so it could marinate while I prepped the burgers)
 
1.) Mix first 8 ingredients in box then add coleslaw mix. 
2.) Toss until thoroughly coated. 
3.) Place bowl in fridge to marinate while you cook burgers.
 
Directions For the Burgers:

1.) Preheat skillet to medium on your stove top, and spray with your non-stick spray. 
2.) Add turkey burgers and cook on medium for about 5-6 minutes.  
3.) As turkey has very little fat, I found it helpful to spray the pan again when you flip the burgers, cooking again for 5-6 minutes. 
4.) At this point, my burgers were still a bit pink in the center, so I covered the skillet and cooked for another 4 minutes.  
5.) Take off skillet, put on plate, and top with the slaw. 
6.) Devour. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!