Monday, August 19, 2013

Lemon Parmesan Spaghetti Squash with Pan Seared Brussel Sprouts

Well I finished my four week Paleo Zone Eatology experiment. I learned a lot and got great ideas for how to properly balance foods. I know I will continue to incorporate this into my meal planning.  It will become a staple in the weeks leading up to competitions and events.  But I also learned my body needs carbs.  Not necessary 2.5 C of broccoli carbs, but carbs.  Brown rice and sweet potato's come to mind.  I also learned I'm not a 20 year old trying to make it into the games so I wasn't going overboard with extreme eating of chicken, broccoli and 6 almonds the rest of my life. I did loose a few pounds and inches in the process!

I will stay on track, eat clean, paleo, zone or whatever is good for me.  I will also enjoy some birthday cake at a party or ice cream when I'm with the grandkids.  It doesn't kill you if you only eat it once is awhile.

Today I am back on the path of posting, sharing and supporting others by sharing my meals! 

Lemon Parmesan Spaghetti Squash with Pan Seared Brussel Sprouts


1 super large spaghetti squash
1 lemon
1 bunch Italian parsley or Basil
1lb brussel sprouts
1 garlic
small  yellow onion
Parmesan cheese - fresh is best (or similar cheese)
Salt and pepper
Olive Oil
Coconut Oil

Cook squash.  I used the microwave since I didn't have an hour to cook in oven.  Slice some slits through it all over, put in micro, 20 min on high...perfect spaghetti squash.

While that was cooking I prepared the brussel sprouts by cutting the stem off and cutting them in half.  I used two cloves of garlic in my press and I added a half a yellow onion, cut up. I heated up about 2 tbl of coconut oil in a pan and added the garlic and onion, turned the heat down and added the sprouts.  Stir it frequently and watch the heat so they don't sear to soon.  I ended up adding a little water to help them steam

Meanwhile prep the parsley by cutting off the leaves, discard stems.  Cut leaves into pieces.  I don't know how to explain the rough chop well, so here goes.  I piled all the leaves up and just chopped it a few times, mixed it up a little, bunched it again and chopped again.  I rolled the lemon on the counter to get the juices loosened up too.  It makes it easier to squeeze.

When the squash is done, let it sit a minute or two.  Cut in half, scoop out seeds and mushy stuff in the center and then drag a fork through it to create the "spaghetti".  I placed it in a large bowl, drizzled with a tad bit of olive oil, sprinkled a good amount of parmesan cheese on it (I used kraft. It was all I had, but fresh grated would be best)  Added the lemon juice squeezed (watch the seeds) parsley, salt and pepper and tossed it with the fork.  Walla  Be warned, I used too much lemon juice so it was stronger then I would have liked, but still good.  Who doesn't love lemon right?

Oh and a side note.  150lb Jerk overhead today!!  That's a 5lb PR and my shoulder feels perfect!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!