Sunday, December 30, 2018

Gluten Free & Keto Candied Pecans and a final Elimination Diet Journey Video



This video blog is a year old.  I look back on it and think how I've done so well with this program but now a year later, I feel I've completely abandoned most of what I've learned.  That's terrible.

I have not really abandoned most of what I've learned, it's just amazing how easy it is to stray from what you know is good for you and give into what is bad for you.   It's a constant reset.  I do my best to tell myself, you don't fail, you make choices.  And as long as you continue to make good choices, even among the bad choices, in the end you'll be better.

I am a firm believer that community is key.  I'm not surrounded by like minded people so I fail, and fail often.  When I am around like minded people who are supportive, I succeed.  It's just life as it is, until it isn't.

The year 2019 is the year to move past the crutch of blaming others. (you know those not like minded people)

Follow my journey as it enters a new chapter. The elimination diet and functional medicine has helped me get this point, now it's up to me to take it to the next level and then maintain it for optimum health as I get older.

Let's start with a recipe for Candied Pecans.  Because who doesn't love Candied anything?
Heres the site: https://www.gnom-gnom.com/?s=candied+pecans

INGREDIENTS

NSTRUCTIONS

  1. Lightly toast sesame seeds over medium/low heat for 4 to 6 minutes. Watch out they do not burn, or they'll taste bitter! You know they're ready when they're lightly golden, and you press one between your fingertips and it turns to powder. Set aside to cool. 
  2. Preheat oven to 250°F/120°C. Line a rimmed baking tray with parchment paper. 
  3. Add sesame seeds, sweetener and molasses (optional) to a food processor and pulse a couple times until roughly powdered and mixed thoroughly. 
  4. Mix sesame sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside. 
  5. Beat egg white with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. 
  6. Toss pecans onto the sesame and cinnamon sugar and fold in the egg white. 
  7. Spread pecans onto prepared baking tray in a single layer and sprinkle generously with flakey sea salt. Bake for 35-45 minutes, checking every 15 minutes or so and tossing them about a bit. Allow to cool completely, as they'll continue to crisp up while cooling. Please note that erythritol can take a few hours to crisp up and xylitol up to a day (yup, for real!)
  8. Store in an airtight container for a couple weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!