Sunday, November 2, 2014

Butternut Squash Hash - Throw it together Easy

This is a favorite. In earlier posts I have sweet potato hash and maybe an apple and squash hash. They are all good.  And if you want to follow a recipe look to those blogs.

I've learned to just throw together some ingredient and it's perfect every time.

4 pieces thick bacon - try to use nitrate free

1 small yellow onion - or any kind. Sweet onions are good.

About 1 to 1 1/2 cups of cut up butternut squash. Cut small to cook faster.

Himalayan salt about 1/4tsp.  Not really sure I just sprinkled some.

Crushed black pepper to taste

Sprinkle of crushed cayenne pepper

Cook the bacon first if you like it crispy.  I've done it both ways.  Cook it all the way and set a side. Then add it back in when the squash is almost done.  Or like today I started cooking the bacon and when one side was pretty well cooked, I stirred them up and added the squash, then the onions.

Let it cook on a low/medium heat.  Stir it once in while.  It's done when the squash is soft and the onions are clear.  Maybe 8-10 minutes.  I didn't really keep track.

For spices I used pink Himalayan salt and some ground pepper.  For a kick I always add a sprinkle of crushed cayenne pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!