Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Taco Tuesday with the Elimination Diet! Ground Turkey and Cauliflower Rice Bowl

Well I'm at it again, this time with so much exciting stuff to share.  Watch for post in the near future of my journey with the Cleveland Clinic Functional Medicine Department, the Elimination Diet, being 50 and beating chronic pain, inflammation and overall bad health.  I'm just in the beginning of my journey so I don't want to tell you too much yet.  What I can tell you is I feel the best I've felt in years, the pain in my neck, back and knee is the least it's ever been, I've dropped 12 pounds, I sleep better, think better and have the most energy I've ever had in my life.

But enough with that, here's today's recipe and blog about my Taco Tuesday and getting back to being compliant after the holidays.

Ground Turkey and Cauliflower Rice Bowl. 

Here are the two websites that were inspiration for my own creation.

https://www.slenderkitchen.com/recipe/turkey-taco-and-cauliflower-rice-skillet

https://therealfoodrds.com/homemade-taco-seasoning-whole30/


What I like about this meal is you can make it, stay compliant and feed your family.  Or in my case my husband.  Just use cheese, taco shells and other taco toppings they like.  Add some corn chips and you've got a taco meal.

I took a head of cauliflower and cut the tops off into small pieces.  They don't have to be real small.  I leave most the the pieces the size they are when I cut them off.  Placed them in glass casserole, covered with plastic wrap and microwave it about 4 minutes.  This gets them steamed, but not so soft they mush.  Once cooled a bit, rice it in a food processor or mash with fork the best you can into rice like pieces.

Start your ground turkey.  I used one pound.  Heat pan, add 1 Tbs EV olive oil to hot pan.  Add turkey and chop up.   Cook in skillet until halfway cooked, add one chopped onion.  (any yellow sweet onion will do)  Continue cooking until all liquid is absorbed and turkey is cooked and onion is translucent. (clear and soft)

Add the riced cauliflower and mix everything up.

Add about 2-3 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning The website above has what I made, or you can use a packet of taco seasoning.  Just watch the salt content of most pre-made seasonings.  I've learned making my own is super easy and I control the sodium that way.   Add salt and pepper to taste and if needed about 1/4 cup water to allow for the spice to blend into everything. Let it cook just a couple minutes until the liquid is gone.

It should resemble taco meat.  With the cauliflower it reminds me of ground beef with beans mixed in.  Regardless of the look, it taste just like tacos with a rice/bean texture.  I topped it off with fresh salsa.  If I wasn't so lazy I would have made some fresh guacamole.

Be creative with the add on's.  This was a super easy, super quick delicious meal. 

You'll need:

1 head of cauliflower
1 lb of ground turkey
1 medium yellow onion
olive oil
Taco Seasoning (homemade or packaged)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Toppings of your choice, cheese, guac, lettuce, chips, black olives, what ever you fancy! Dress it up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments help me improve this site for others to use and keeps me motivated to continue on my journey if its helping others!